241A — Maybe they can all share...

Today was decent. The sheer amount of sleep I got last night was mildly surprising, but getting up in the morning wasn't totally painless either. Maybe I need to find the exact balance. In any case, I will most likely not be sleeping early tonight, since I have a significant portion of a Spanish script left to write. Fortunately, the AP Bio assignment was easier than I expected, so maybe it all evens out.

I got to school today just in time to nab the last spot in 'A' lot, and spent my morning, as usual, working on homework (this time for Spanish). AP Psych today was again deserted, so we had a relatively chill class, with some small tests and work and whatnot. Spanish 4 was a very interesting day, with some very funny discussions and answers to hypothetical questions, and then we went to Orchestra, where we played some music but in general just had a lot of random discussion and story-telling.

I went home for lunch, and then did some work on the AP Bio assignment. I've also been trying to cut down on my (currently 4230 episode) podcast backlog, which has been interesting enough. Returning to school, I sorted Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 today, which was distributed over 6 music folders and two editions. From there, I went to pit, where we practiced essentially continuously (with a small break for food) until 8:15. I went home after that, and finished my homework after dinner.

The musical has been getting a lot more interesting for me after the playwright interview and actually getting further into the musical (especially as the acting and whatnot gets better). It's a lot about difference, which is what I wrote a lot about for my college essays, as well as in the thesis for AP Lit last year. There's a line in a John Ashbery poem I discussed in that thesis last year that says "I said it but I can hide it." That captures, to some extent, some of the discussion in the show, where one of the Siamese twins (the primary focus of the musical) yells at a gay character that "at least you can hide your difference!" (or something to that end.) In this vein, the musical actually explores simultaneously similar yet conflicting experiences of being LGBTQ+ and a person of color (or just visibly different), which certainly resonates with me, although, given the diversity of our drama department, may not resonate with the actors themselves. For example, there's a character in the show that is supposed to be African-American, but because of the demographics in our area, we have a white person playing the role, which removes all the possible exploration surrounding the discourse of racial differences (the use of "your kind" by one of the villains, for example, lacks its meaning). In any case, it's exciting to be playing for a musical that cares about social issues. I'm inspired, to a certain extent.

Tomorrow, Friday! I'm not sure exactly what my plans include, but hopefully they're exciting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G: A Hitchhiker's Guide to This Blog

maps, brochures, programs, and other memorabilia (ft. extensive photos of my carpet)

I chime in with a "haven't you people ever heard of, cleaning your goddamn room?", pt. 1: unpacking