365A — I can't believe a year went by so fast...

Today was a decent day.

I attempted to start writing this portion of the post at around 4 PM, after sleeping for around 12 hours, eating lunch, watching some YouTube videos, calling some portion of my RSI friends, and bashing out the problems on the MIT 6.0001 Advanced Standing Exam, which, as far as I can tell, are actually pretty easy, although the lack of feedback given on the actual exam does make me somewhat concerned. Oh well, I'm not too worried about this one. I'm still going to study for 18.02, 5.111, and the biology exam, but we'll see how those go. Concourse actually might prevent me from taking the Chem one, biology seems hard, and 18.02 is a sort of foundational class that it might be bad to miss out on. Interesting. In any case, I failed to actually start writing anything until around 6 PM, when I finally convinced myself to sit down at a desk and type.

I had some thoughts after waking up after 12 hours of continuous sleep and yet still feeling all the energy drained from my body. Such an exhaustion is generally fine—it implies a good level of activity over the past six weeks. It does, however, give me pause for the coming semester and school year, because if RSI is a 10k, then a school year at MIT must be a marathon: each individual mile, every single week, may expend less of one's energy, but over the whole you do much, much more, and take much, much longer. I wonder how I will cope with such pressures then, but I suppose that I will only know with time. At the very least, I am not yet, as I was last year, in a state of "worry, worry, worry."

In that vein, it has also been a full year of continuous, daily blogging. I am exceptionally proud of this, and although I know that with the intensity of MIT this schedule may well be shaken, RSI has proven a reasonable test case for this theory. In 1A last year, I was worried that I might never find another "home" like RSI. Now, I am less worried, first because I found it again already, second because I know I might just come back again, and third because I know I'm going to MIT in two weeks, and that the people I will meet there just might build themselves into a similar community. This confidence in the future is rare in life, so I'll take in now and revel in it. Hurrah.

An interesting side effect of this RSI that I've noticed, however, is that I've become a little more insulated from the news than I would like. Maybe it's a lack of doing debate and extemp, but I feel like I no longer know what's going on. Boris Johnson is MP? There have been multiple sets of Democratic debates? There were two mass shootings last weekend? I need to make a conscious effort to keep up, or I will be lost. There is no debate safety net to catch me now.

Eventually, it was time for dinner. I read the comments from some of the kids in my summerbook, and I talked to some friends about moving in to MIT and meeting up and stuff, as well as many other things in the general vicinity of that topic afterwards. I started planning various items, looking at various concerns, and on the whole I think I got to a pretty good place, although I can feel my anxieties creeping up on me. So much to plan. So much to be concerned about. So much to schedule.

Right now, though, I'm kind of tired. I think I need to go outside tomorrow, at some point, maybe drive, maybe walk, and just take in the city that is my home for this brief two week blip, and has been my home for much longer than that. I also think that I might read a little bit as well, instead of languish around doing nothing, although our library account has been frozen since our card was lost. (Sad.) I'm not entirely sure—all of the books I got at RSI are in a cardboard box in an apartment in Boston, and although there's plenty of reading available at home I'm not sure how much of it is the heart-warming/realistic fiction I need right now. Maybe I'll start with Turtles All the Way Down, or Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. Maybe I'll just start with my 2019 summerbook again. I heard "Señorita" playing in my sister's room today and I thought about all of the memories I'll have associated with that song via RSI 2019. "I wish I could pretend I didn't need you." Truly, however, I do, and I wouldn't give you up for the world.

Tomorrow, many things. (Hopefully.) Time to move out of complacency and tiredness and into a healthy relaxation mode. MIT starts soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

G: A Hitchhiker's Guide to This Blog

maps, brochures, programs, and other memorabilia (ft. extensive photos of my carpet)

I chime in with a "haven't you people ever heard of, cleaning your goddamn room?", pt. 1: unpacking